It’s only March. Spring has barely begun, but last week, I came across a Facebook post that asked, “Which summer camps do you send your kids to?” ACK! Summer planning already!
Summers are what memories are made of, and that puts a lot of pressure on vacation and camp decisions. But the excessive options for summer are beyond overwhelming! There is a camp for every possible interest in the world, especially if your budget is limitless. After reading through countless camp lists and trying out a variety of them with my first two kids, I’ve definitely learned something…
I will always say ‘yes’ to at least one VBS each summer, and that’s where my research led me after reading that FB post last week. I’m completely amazed by how much planning, time, and faith is put into vacation bible schools, and I am thrilled that my children get to experience that kind of joy. It moves me to tears every time I hear them singing the songs they learn in VBS, and I love it even more when I hear them relating what they learn in the summer to future Bible lessons throughout the year.
And what makes VBS even better? The price tag (well.. the lack of one)!
If you’re searching for a VBS to send your children to this summer, here is a list of some wonderful options in the Austin area and the Texas Hill Country that are currently open for registration:
- Bethany Lutheran Church has VBS for preschool-aged children through 5th grade. Theme: Treasured. Cost: $20, includes T-shirt. Dates: June 21-25
- Bannockburn Dripping Springs and South Austin for age 3 through 5th grade. Cost: FREE. Dates: June 28 – July 1. Morning and evening options available.
- Dripping Springs United Methodist Church for Kinder through 5th grade. Dates: July 12th – 15th, 9 am – noon. Theme: Knights of North Castle
- Lake Hills Church starts at incoming kinder age: Aug 2nd – 5th, $20 – $80/child depending on age
- Woodlawn Baptist Church has family VBS each Wednesday in August during the evening
- Sunset Canyon Church starts at age 4. June 7th – 10th, 9am / noon. Free.
- First Baptist of Dripping Springs will have a 2 week “High Voltage” camp. This year’s theme is “Glow” – July 6,7,8: STEM week & July 13, 14, 15: Creative Arts week. 9am-1pm. $10 registration fee. Space is limited.
- Austin Ridge Bee Cave has Camp Ridge Kids starting at age 3. July 26th – 29th, 9 am – noon. $25/child
MORE INFO ON VBS OPTIONS TO COME…
If you’re looking to plan other activities for this summer, check out our past Summer Bucket Lists.