It’s only March. Spring has barely begun, but every parent knows it’s time to start summer planning. And VBS is often at the core of those plans.
Summers are what memories are made of, and that puts a lot of pressure on vacation and camp decisions. But the excessive options for summer are beyond overwhelming! There is a camp for every possible interest in the world, especially if your budget is limitless. After reading through countless camp lists and trying out a variety of them with my first two kids, I’ve definitely learned something…
I will always say ‘yes’ to at least one VBS each summer! I’m completely amazed by how much planning, time, and faith is put into vacation bible schools, and I am thrilled that my children get to experience that kind of joy. It moves me to tears every time I hear them singing the songs they learn in VBS, and I love it even more when I hear them relating what they learn in the summer to future Bible lessons throughout the year.
And what makes VBS even better? The price tag (well.. the lack of one)!
If you’re searching for a VBS to send your children to this summer, here is a list of some wonderful options in the Austin area and the Texas Hill Country that are currently or will soon be open for registration:
- Lake Hills Church starts at incoming kinder age. Theme: TBA. Dates: June 5-8, 9:30 am – 12:30 pm. Registration opens at the end of March. Cost: Unknown
- Bethany Lutheran Church has VBS for PK3(potty-trained) through 5th grade. Theme: Stellar. Dates: June 19-23, 9 am – noon. Cost: $20, includes T-shirt. Registration is open. Other camps are available throughout summer for $300 per week.
- Life Family Churches hosts Camp Life Kids in Austin and Marble Falls. This VBS is so popular that the Austin location already has a waitlist, but you can still register for the Marble Falls location, which will occur June 19-23, 9 am-4 pm. Cost: $210. For rising kindergartners through 6th grade.
- Bannockburn Dripping Springs and South Austin for age 3 through 5th grade. Theme: TBA. Dates: June 26-29th. (Registration opens mid-March.) Morning and evening options available. Cost: FREE
- Southern Hills Church of Christ in Buda will run from Sunday June 25th to Wednesday June 28th. Click here for more details and registration.
- Woodlawn Baptist Church is offering VBS daily from June 26-30th from 9 am – 12 pm for preschool-age through 5th grade. Registration to open later in March.
- Austin Ridge Bee Cave has Camp Ridge Kids starting at age 3 (potty trained) – 5th grade. Theme: Summer Blast. Dates: July 10-13, 9 am – noon. Cost: Unknown, registration opening soon.
- Dripping Springs United Methodist Church has a unique approach to VBS: it’s for the whole family. Their VBX will structure programming for the kids and for the adults as well. The evenings include dinner, worship, games, petting zoo, and shows. Theme: Pets Unleashed. Dates: 7/11-7/13, 5:30-8:30 pm. Registration will open soon.
MORE INFO ON VBS OPTIONS TO COME…
If you’re looking to plan other activities for this summer, check out our past Summer Bucket Lists.